Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Soapbox Moment

Please excuse me for interrupting your comments and online posts for just a second.  I understand that your negative rants are just as important as the "feel good" posts that I share with my online connections; however, does that mean you have the right to hijack my positive outlook on the world and, in turn, ruin my entire day?

We all have our opinions when it comes to politics, social issues and, yes, even cats.  If you post something I do not agree with, I make the conscious effort to either reply with facts that substantiate my opinion or simply scroll right by your post.  I do not go out of my way to post a comment that is disparaging or outright mean spirited.  

Maybe I am naive to think that adults are capable of having an intelligent online conversation without the name calling and vile comments.  This was not how I was raised nor was it how I was taught to carry on conversations with people I may disagree with.

Yes, debate is important and a fact of life.  I am not discouraging it by any means.  It you disagree with something I post, then state your case as to why. Simply calling a third party out in your reply does not help to advance your case.

All too often, there are those (myself included) who have been forced to delete a post because the comments posted in response have gone rogue. These forced deletions go against the whole purpose of social media.  

We can be social without being mean spirited.


No comments:

Post a Comment